So you purchased a new computer but wondering how to transfer all the files and data of Quickbooks from your old computer. Don’t worry, the QuickBooks Migration tool is your savior. In this blog, we have covered everything you need to know to move your files and QuickBooks data, so keep on reading till the end.
The transferring of data from one system to another is time consuming and a daunting task too, therefore Intuit designed the QuickBooks Migration tool. This tool is used to transfer data safely from one system to another without the need for any manpower. It can get the work done in half the time, therefore it’s time-savvy. Not only that, the best part, the QuickBooks Migration tool is free and can be easily set up on your QuickBooks software.
The tool is accessible via the browser, so ensure that your system’s browser is compatible to support the software tool.
So now you got the idea of the QuickBooks Migration tool, let’s go ahead and look at the requirements and the setup process in the coming sections.
These are the things you require to install QuickBooks Migration tool on your device:
● A stable internet connection
● A device compatible with QuickBooks Migration tool
● .NET Framework
● Microsoft C++ Visual Redistributable package
● 2.5 GB of Disk Space
● 4 GB RAM for individuals and 8 GB RAM for multiple users
● Processor with a minimum of 2.4 GHz.
Make sure to have all these things before proceeding to set up the software tool. After that, read the next section to know the setup process.
To transfer your data with the Migration tool, you first have to download and install it on your system. So follow the simple step given below to set up the QuickBooks Migration tool on your device:
● Launch QuickBooks on your device and log in to your account with your ID and password.
● Now allow access to copy the data in your system.
● Search the Migration tool and click on it.
● You will see an enter password pop-up in the migration tool. Fill in your password in the given field.
● Click on the Run the tool button
● The tool will start running, copying, and transferring files.
That’s it, you can use the QuickBooks Migration tool anytime you want. Moving on, let’s discuss the types of data that can and can’t be transferred with the software tool.
Here is the list of files and data that you can and can not transfer to the new system:
Can be transferred Can’t be transferred
Recent company files Intuit data protect
Spelling checker Back up files
Finance statement designer Finance statement designer Synchronizing payment and payroll
The settings of the printer Configuration of multi-user mode
Cash flow projector
There’s a lot of work that needs to be done when you migrate your data and all the files to Quickbooks online from the desktop. However, you have to make manual adjustments and even re-add data while transferring the company files. Also, one important point to note is that every data or file acts differently in the migration process, so you need to take steps accordingly.
Let’s see how these files behave during QuickBooks Migration:
The online version of QuickBooks has a detail types section in the Chart of Accounts. During the migration, the generic layout is converted to the desktop, but you need to fill in the bank numbers and data later.
Once you migrate your data from Desktop to online, this adds up to your expenses.
The active estimates get converted and closed in the online version, but the inactivated estimates get rejected.
The online version can track your inventory by the FIFO method, but it is only available for a short period of time. It is only accessible with the Plus version.
All the journal entries are converted from desktop to online versions.
All the details of vendors, suppliers, and manufacturers, including payment history do not get converted to the online version.
The audits done on your desktop version can not be converted to the online versions as it has its own layout for audit trails, known as Audit logs that can be maintained automatically.
Now that you are familiar with the nature of each file with QuickBooks online migration, the necessary steps can be taken accordingly. Moving ahead, let’s learn what things you should do before and during the migration process in the coming section.
You need to prepare everything correctly before initiating QuickBooks Migration online to avoid losing any data or important files. Here are some of the aspects you need to look after carefully:
Your QB desktop must be updated to its latest features for migration. Follow the steps given below to update the software:
● Log in to your account and go to the Help menu.
● Click on the Update QuickBooks Desktop option.
● Select Update Now and tap on Next.
● Exit the file, then restart your QuickBooks again.
Your QB desktop will be updated by following the above-written method.
To move your file from desktop to online QB, you need to purchase a subscription plan that fits best with your budget. Apart from that, you need to check your system’s compatibility with QuickBooks Online software.
So let’s suppose you have purchased the online subscription, now you will have to wait for 60 days for the QB migration. Meaning, you must ensure that your QB online software has crossed 60 days to sign up to covert the files.
If you have reports and lists that cross 700,000 total targets, then you have to follow the export procedure. Follow the steps below for the same:
● Access your QuickBooks account and go to the Report Menu.
● Now tap on Report Center and select any report to open.
● Go to Excel on the toolbar and choose to print or email the files to save as PDF.
● Now update the worksheet with data from the open report.
● Export and locate the workbook on the computer.
● Lastly, tap on OK when the export is ready to migrate.
You are now familiar with what you need to do before the file transfer process. Let’s go ahead and see how to find the software tool in the coming section.
It might be difficult for you to locate the migration tool in your software if you are using it for the first time. So follow the process we have written below to find the QB migration tool on your device:
● Sign in to QuickBooks software and enter.
● Go to the Export Overview screen and tap on the button to start it.
● Click on the Download button to download the migration tool.
● After the installer is downloaded, launch it to run the software tool.
● Lastly, follow the on-screen prompts to complete the process.
Now that you have got the tool on your system, let’s learn the steps by which you can transfer your data in the next section.
You can transfer all your files from your old to the new system with the help of QB Migration tool. As we have already downloaded the tool on the system, let’s go ahead and follow the process to transfer our data:
Follow the steps that need to be done on your old system:
● Connect the USB Drive to your computer.
● Launch QuickBooks and go to the files menu.
● Select Utilities from the drop-down menu.
● Now, tap on Move QuickBooks to another computer.
● Click on I’m ready button and create a strong password.
● Follow the on-screen prompts to select your USB flash drive.
● Wait for all the files to get copied.
Once the files are copied, follow the steps written below on your new system:
● First, connect the flash drive to the new system.
● Open the USB drive on your system.
● Double-click on the Move_Quickbooks.bat file and enter the password that you have created on the old system.
● Lastly, click on Let’s Go.
After you have followed the steps, wait until the tool completes the migration process. As we have already learned about the files that can not be transferred to the new system, let’s look at the additional steps you have to take to complete the setup:
● Login to payroll and payment services on the new system.
● Access Intuit Data Protection.
● Configure the backup schedule.
● Back up all the company files to avoid losing any important details.
In case you believe some of the data is still left in your old system, then you can manually transfer it to the new device. Let’s see how to do it in the coming section.
If you want to transfer the data from the old computer to the new computer manually, follow the instructions given below:
● First, start by creating a backup of the files on your old computer.
● Uninstall the QuickBooks software from the old system.
● Now install QuickBooks software on your new computer.
● Restore the files backup on your new computer that you have stored in your old system.
That’s it, you can now start using the software. But there are a few things you first have to do immediately after running the software on your new system, which we will discuss in the coming section.
Here is the list of things you must do after you have transferred the files:
● Login to QuickBooks Payroll services.
● Make sure to create a backup of all the files.
● Set the software update reminder.
● Sign in to Intuit data protect and tool kit to protect the software.
So we have explained all the steps to transfer QB files from the old to the new computer. However, we have seen many users struggling with the process. In case, you find it difficult too, don’t worry, we have explained an alternative method in the next section.
Follow the simple steps to easily migrate all your files and data from the old to a new computer:
● First, select the plan and signup for QuickBooks online essentials.
● Upload complete data and all the files in your system.
● You will be given a conversation form by Intuit, fill it in, and submit it./p>
● Next, upload the backup of the data.
● Now, tap on the Review button to migrate the data.
The software will review your request and initiate the process automatically.
You can contact Intuit at 800-459-5183 for QuickBooks migration support.
The QuickBooks migration can take up to 72 hours.
You can go to the settings and export data to move QuickBooks online files to your desktop.